Sunday, January 15, 2012

Breakfast Tofu Scramble Served Over Sliced French Baguettes



The most favorite thing I like doing on Sunday mornings is sleeping in.  And guess what?  I didn't get to sleep in because my husband likes to walk around the room and make a lot of noise so that I can be awake and keep him company.  The next favorite thing I like doing on Sunday mornings is taking my time getting up.  I was laying in bed having a grand ole' time just watching Meet The Fockers with hubby until I him say, "Babe.  I'm hungry."  Aha!  I knew this was the reason why he was deliberately making such loud noises to wake me up.  Lucky for him I was in a semi-good mood.  I'm never much of a morning person but I got in a few laughs when Jack Byrnes asked Greg Focker if he could milk him too. 

I wanted to make something savory but filling so again I tried utilizing all of the produce I have in my fridge.  A couple nights ago, I went to Porto's with my friend Kim to buy her boyfriend a chocolate mousse cake and they were all sold out by the time we got there.  I didn't waste any time in my opportunity to buy a french baguette.  So this morning, I decided to make a scramble to top over slices of french baguette.

Breakfast Tofu Scramble Served Over Sliced French Baguettes

Serves 2

Ingredients

  • Sliced french baguette (slice into 1 inch thick pieces and lightly toasted)
  • 1 tablespoon of Earth Balance Butter
  • 2 teaspoons of minced garlic (2 cloves)
  • 8 ounces of crumbled firm tofu
  • 2 teaspoons of nutritional yeast
  • Pinch of salt and pepper
  • Pinch of turmeric power to add yellow color to tofu (you can omit if you like)
  • 3 sliced white button mushrooms
  • 1 handful of spinach
  • 1 chopped tomato
  • 5 basil leaves sliced thinly (just chiffonade)
  • 1 stalk of chopped green onion

  1. On a heated skillet, melt butter and stir in garlic until fragrant
  2. Add tofu, nutritional yeast flakes, salt, pepper, turmeric and stir for 2 minutes
  3. Add mushrooms, spinach, tomato, basil, green onions and stir fry for 3 minutes
  4. Serve with lightly toasted sliced baguettes


No comments:

Post a Comment