Monday, January 16, 2012

Non-Dairy Cream of Mushroom Soup


I woke up with a horrendous fever and my loving husband made sure I was equipped with anything I needed before he left for the day.  Even though I was awfully sick, I forced myself to get up and take care of clients before resting up.  Out of all the days to be sick, this day was the busiest.  The emails and correspondence started to calm after 6pm and before I knew it, the hubs and I went to have dinner with our friends to celebrate a birthday.  I mustered the strength to step out to dinner for some hot soup and winter melon tea.  It was delicious!  I was eyeing Jen's milk tea so badly but nope.  I couldn't have any dairy. 

During our drive home from dinner, hubs asked me to make one of his special dishes this week but in order to do that, I had to cook the base.  The base of the next dish is non-dairy cream of mushroom soup.  There are three different types of mushrooms in this dish but you can use the type of mushrooms you like best.  I just happened to have maitake, oyster and white button mushrooms in the fridge.  I also thicken up the soup to make gravy too.  Stay tuned for one of hubs favorite dishes later on this week.

Types of mushrooms.  Clockwise starting from top left corner.  Maitake, white button and oyster mushrooms.


Non-Dairy Cream of Mushroom Soup

Serves 4 to 6

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon Earth Balance Butter
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 chopped brown onion
  • 1 cup chopped white button mushrooms
  • 1 cup chopped oyster mushrooms
  • 1 cup chopped maitake mushrooms
  • 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast flakes
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons of vegetarian bouillon powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
  • 3 cups rice milk

  1. In a pot melt butter and add garlic and onions.  Stir until onions are translucent.
  2. Add white button, oyster and maitake mushrooms into the pot and stir for about 3 minutes.
  3. Add nutritional yeast, vegetarian bouillon powder, flax seed and rice milk.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
  4. Serve and enjoy.  You can also freeze the left overs.

No comments:

Post a Comment