Friday, January 6, 2012

Spicy Flavorful Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps



I was determined not to drive out to the grocery store this weekend.  I went a little crazy at the market the other evening when I found out that they had Gardein products in the freezer section on sale.  The price was amazing and I figured I would stock up for times when hubby wants a quick meal.  He's studying for the CPA exam and it seems like our meal times are completely off so I took the opportunity to take advantage of the unbelievable deal!   This also meant that I would have less space in my freezer and I would have to utilize all of the produce in our refrigerator.  Since hubs was hungry a little earlier than dinner time, I figured that I had to whip up something quick so he could get back to his studying.  I had baked tofu, mushrooms and iceberg lettuce.  Normally, I would make lettuce wraps as appetizers but we figured it would be nice light meal in comparison to a salad.  The amount listed in the ingredients section should serve 6 people as appetizers but 3 to 4 if you are planning to have it as an entree.  The leftover fillings can be served as a topping for your next meal such as a brown rice bowl with steamed veggies.





Spicy Flavorful Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients
  • 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon of garlic
  • 1 chopped brown onion
  • 1 cup of chopped white button mushrooms
  • 2 cups of chopped baked tofu
  • 2 tablespoons of vegetarian mushroom oyster sauce (you can start with 1 tablespoon because 2 tablespoons might be too salty depending on your preference)
  • 1 teaspoon of tamari
  • 1/2 teaspoon of maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon of red chili sauce (you can also omit)
  • 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds (you can substitute with sliced almonds or other nuts to add a little crunch to the filling)
  • 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce (thoroughly washed and drained)

  1. In a large wok, add vegetable oil, garlic and onion.  Stir until onion is transparent. 
  2. Add mushrooms,baked tofu and stir for about 3 minutes on high heat. 
  3. Turn down the stove to medium heat and add vegetarian mushroom oyster sauce, tamari, maple syrup and chili paste.  Stir for 2 minutes.
  4. Turn the stove off and stir in sunflower seeds. 
  5. Pour the filling in a bowl or dish and serve with iceberg lettuce.




No comments:

Post a Comment