Thursday, January 12, 2012

Vegan Tuna Salad


I feel like I can't catch a break.  I'm sick again!  Thought I was getting better and then boom!  I have a fever.  Hubs was so sweet and offered to make me some coffee while I was still in bed but I didn't feel like I could hold anything down at 7 am.  I woke up super early, started making calls and working on my computer.  When I was hungry this morning I made my Sweet and Creamy Cold Kale Smoothie. When the afternoon rolled around, I still felt super sick.  I was not feeling well enough to cook anything but had a bit of an appetite so I grabbed the vegan tuna salad in the fridge I had made the day before.  The pictures of the salad aren't very pretty and I'm still trying to nail the picture taking down but I'm sure it may get better with much practice.  I promise that the salad tastes better than it looks. This should keep in the fridge for about 3 days.  I like to let it sit in the fridge for a day and let the flavors marinate.

Vegan Tuna Salad

Serves 4

Ingredients
  • 1 teaspoon of Earth Balance Butter
  • 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
  • 2 cups of crumbled firm tofu
  • 1 cup of canned chickpeas
  • 1/4 cup of crumbled dried seaweed sheets
  • 1 stalk of chopped green onions
  • 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast flakes
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons of Vegenaise
  • 1/4 cup of chopped celery
  1. On a heated skillet, add butter and minced garlic.  Stir until garlic is fragrant but not browned.
  2. Add crumbled tofu, chickpeas, seaweed, green onion, nutritional yeast flakes, salt and pepper to the skillet.  Stir for 3 minutes and set mixture aside to cool. 
  3. The mixture should be slightly cooled after 15 minutes.  Add mustard,vegenaise, celery and stir into the tofu mixture.  I'm not a big fan of celery so I left it out in this batch. 
  4. Place the mixture into the refrigerator and cool for about 2 hours for the flavors to marinate.  Spread over whole wheat tortilla, bread, crackers or top over some greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment