Friday, February 3, 2012

Avocado Shake - Vegan

When I was a kid, my mum used to work late evenings and my father never cooked much.  Some days he would give me the option of snacking on avocados or a trip to McD's.  And yes, I would sometimes oddly choose the avocados.  Dad would slice a cold avocado in half, remove the pit, sprinkle the halves with sugar, hand me a spoon and I would dig into this creamy treat.  It would be just enough to satiate my appetite for dinner.  When my father was in a mood to put a little effort into our dinners, he would make a creamy avocado milk shake with lots of sweetened condensed milk.  This evening, I decided to make a non-dairy version of this avocado shake and used silken tofu.  Jase said that he didn't even notice that there wasn't any dairy in the shake.  The avocado shake will be thick like pudding but Jase and I were able to sip it with a straw.  You can also add a half cup of crushed ice to the blender if you want it to be ice cold.

Avocado Shake - Vegan

Serves 1

Ingredients
  • 1 avocado (refrigerated)
  • 1/2 cup silken soft tofu (I use Mori-Nu)
  • 1/4 coconut milk (you can use soy, hemp, almond or rice milk)
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 tablespoon agave syrup 
  1. Add all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.  Serve with a straw and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment