Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My Lemons!

My darling Aunt June has a lemon tree in her front yard and gave me about 10 pounds of it.  There are so uses for these lemons.  The only environment friendly household cleaning products I use are baking soda and lemons.  I haven't had a chance to give my stove and oven a good scrub as I am waiting for my finger to heal.  Now I'm starting to think that I should have gotten stitches because I'm going into day three and it's still bleeding.  It doesn't look infected so I'll hold out for a few more days.
I didn't want all of these lemons to go to waste so I looked up several recipes for lemon bars and lemon bread. Out of the many lemon bar recipes I researched, I chose the recipe listed on The Savvy Vegetarian's website.  The Savvy Vegetarian recommended a recipe from The Joy of Baking by Colleen Goudrault.  Did it pass the hubby test?  Yes!  We didn't get a chance to wait for the bars to set thoroughly because hubs just got back from his basketball game and he was hungry.  The bars are not overly sweet, it has just the right amount of tartness, no bitter taste from the lemon zest and the shortbread crust was plain but paired well with the lemon custard.  The recipe lists that we should bake the custard in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees but I think mine was a little overcooked.  If I were to bake these lemon bars again, I would cut the time down to maybe 20 to 25 minutes instead.  I guess it depends on the type of oven you have too.  Nonetheless, we enjoyed the chewiness of the lemon custard.  It was a nice change from our recent chocolate desserts.  I also made some lemon chia bread but I haven't quite perfected the recipe.
I will post the recipe if I ever get back around to it since I'm not quite the baker.  Savory dishes are more of my thing.  My mum makes the best baos and I am craving for some.  Maybe I'll make a vegan version of it soon.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment