Thursday, February 2, 2012

Baked Tofu and Bean Sprout Salad With Sesame Dressing

Last weekend, I went to Din Tai Fung with the girls and I ordered the usual appetizer of baked tofu and bean sprout salad.  It's my favorite dish at the restaurant even though they are known for their world famous dumplings.  Not one person I have introduced the baked tofu salad to has ever disliked it.  I was having another craving for it this evening so I decided to make some for dinner.  I tried my best not to finish the whole bowl and save some for hubby when he gets home, but it's game night with him and Jolly this evening.  I guess if I finish it, he'll never know it was missing. 

Baked Tofu and Bean Sprout Salad with Sesame Dressing

Serves 4 as entrees or 8 appetizers

Ingredients
  • 10 ounces baked tofu (thin julienned slices)
  • 2 handfuls of steamed bean sprouts (you can microwave for two minutes or boil them in water for one minute)
  • 4 stalks of julienned two inch slices of green onions/scallions
  • 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
  • 3 tablespoons shoyu
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili paste (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder or chickn' bouillon powder
  • 1 teaspoon of grated ginger or 1/4 teaspoon of ginger powder
  • 1 teaspoon of toasted sesame seeds
  1. In a small bowl, add turbinado sugar, shoyu, vinegar, sesame oil, chili paste, vegetable bouillon powder and ginger.  Heat the sesame dressing in the microwave for 30 seconds to melt the turbinado sugar, stir ingredients and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, add baked tofu, bean sprouts, green onion, sesame dressing and toss. 
  3. Sprinkle sesame seed.  Serve immediately but for best results, let the baked tofu marinate in the fridge for about one hour to serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment